Download the PDF: The Simplest Tutorial: How to Start a Blog
Set up your blog through BlueHost and WordPress.org.
Why not use WordPress.com, the free version?
If you’re serious about making money, WordPress.com has strict rules on what type of advertising you can do with your blog, and they could take up to 50% of your profits. You cannot customize or add plugins to your site, necessary steps towards monetization. Additionally, they control your site and place their ads on it.
Why do I need to self host my blog?
If you want to make money from blogging, you will eventually need to self host your site. I started off using a free blog and two weeks later moved everything to be self hosted through BlueHost after I discovered I could not install Google Analytics. I wanted to invest my time in a blog that could grow. Also, self hosting is inexpensive per month, at around $4/month, and your domain is included.
Additional benefits include:
- Ability to monetize your blog
- Custom domain name
- 24/7 customer service
- 1 Click WordPress install
- Plugins and HTML code allowed
- No limitations on themes or customization
- Go to BlueHost and sign up
- Select the basic plan
- Select a domain
- Enter your information
- Select your package information
Keep it simple, you can always upgrade later.
- Type in your billing information
- On your BlueHost homescreen, go to Hosting > Website > Click “Install now”
- Click Install
- Select your domain
- Check box and click install
- Click on View Credentials
6. View your WordPress install credentials
- Click on the Admin URL
- Login using your username and password
- Using the left side bar, navigate to Appearance > Themes
- Click on WordPress.org Themes
- Browse and find a theme you like. Click Install.
- Activate the Theme
- Navigate to Appearance > Customize. Tailor the theme to fit your wants. Each theme will have different options. Test out a few.
I hope this quick tutorial has helped you! If you need help, do not hesitate to email me! I’d be happy to walk you through it!
Welcome to the Blogging World! 🙂