My first and second pregnancies have been worlds different, but when that little baby comes in February, I can’t wait to make these mistakes again! I just didn’t think I’d be so much bigger during my second pregnancy!
1 – Nurse my baby to sleep
Yes, no matter how many times I tell myself not to, I will nurse my next baby to sleep. Even after going through a year of nursing my first born to sleep, for every single nap, and every single bedtime, I will establish that same habit solidly with my second baby. Without a doubt there will be nights when I regret my decision and wish for sleep. But now I have a 16 month toddler running around happily playing by herself, and after a year of nursing, a year of baby cuddles, a year of milk drunk baby faces, she is done. One day your baby will no longer nurse, it may feel like forever now, but it passes quickly. One day your body will no longer sustain a new life with liquid gold flowing from your breasts, a strange and beautiful thought. One day you too will be replaced by apple juice.
2 – Carry my baby
What was my number one mommy hack as a new parent? Baby carrying! I put my little milk vampire in my Ergo baby carrier and took walks around the neighborhood, vacuumed the carpets, put her to sleep and went to the bathroom (she was napping and I didn’t want to disturb her.) She eventually grew so accustomed to her ‘second womb’ that it was the only way she could fall asleep. It is lovely having a floppy baby snuggle against you, hearing them breathing deeply and don’t get me started on the little noises they make when they are dreaming. Eventually, your baby will become too heavy and your back will become worthless due to the weight of their chubby thighs. And your baby will start to crawl and walk and get into everything, and you will miss the days when you did not have to worry about baby proofing and your house was still tidy.
3 – Co-sleep
I never thought I would co-sleep with my baby. It’s unsafe and irresponsible, only bad parents do that! But after three exhausting weeks of nursing her every two hours at night, I fell asleep with her beside me. It happened again and again, for 11 months! Co-sleeping allowed me to get a few solid hours of sleep, it prevented me from having to get up three times a night and it allowed my milk supply to stay strong! You will enjoy it 84% of the time. The other 16% you may yearned for a different position, or more space on the bed, or to cuddle with your husband. But this time will pass quickly and one day your baby will sleep through the night in their own room and then you can cuddle with your husband to your hearts desire.
4 – Delay solids
I will delay solids for as long as my milk supply can keep up with my baby’s needs. Who wants to start cleaning up red sauce and pasta from all over the floor and all over baby earlier than needed? Nursing is just so much cleaner and easier. The milk is always ready and available, and there is no mess to wipe up afterwards. And besides, I loved eating six hearty meals a day, finishing my husband’s plate and a pint of Ben and Jerry’s ice cream and still fitting into my jeans. Let baby suck all those calories out of you for as long as possible. This free exercise session while watching TV won’t last forever.
5 – Splurge on cute newborn outfits
Who has the willpower to resist those itsy bitsy cute-as-a-sneezing-puppy newborn outfits? I know my irrational mommy side will take over as I walk down the perfectly laid out baby isles in Target and I will buy the mint and coral newborn outfits with little woodland animals that my baby will outgrow the first week. As I turn around the isle I will see the miniature socks, small enough to fit on your thumb, and I won’t be able to leave them hanging there. I passed up on my latte from Starbucks, right? So I can afford these little splurges for my unborn bundle of joy. Even though I already have a little girl, every tiny lady needs a few new outfits of her own. And to double the expense, now I will have to splurge on two outfits, so my girls can match.
But before little princess number two comes, I needed to tell my first born how much I loved her, so I made it public!
Want to start a mom blog?
And if you want to share your pregnancy or mommy stories too, and maybe make a few dollars too – please head over to my blogging site at www.startamomblog.com ! I’d love to help you get started!